Doing Yoga at The Office
Spending eight or more hours a day in an office chair, staring at a computer screen can cause backaches, hunched shoulders and a painful neck. Try these yogic stretches a few times throughout the day, to feel better in the office.
1. DEEP BREATHING - A few times throughout the day, pay attention to your breathing. Inhale and exhale deeply through the nose. This type of breath is very calming and centering.
2. HEAD ROTATION - Rotate your head towards the right side in a few large circles. Make sure that your shoulders don't move and the only thing that moves is your head: it releases the tension of your neck muscles.
Then do a few circles towards the left side.
3. SHOULDER ROTATION - Lift your shoulders up to meet your ears, then rotate them towards the back, so that the shoulder blades meet each other, and then lift them towards the ears again, through the front. Do three-five very slow circles and then reverse it and rotate your shoulders towards the front, also three-five times.
4. BACK OPENER -mThis one is perfect if you have hunched back. Interlace your fingers behind the back of your chair, trying to keep the arms straight. If this isn't possible, use a belt to grab on to. Arch your back, so that your chest goes forward. Breathe for five slow deep breaths through the nose.
5. TWIST - Place your right palm on the back of your chair and your left palm on your right thigh. On the exhale twist to the right, looking over your right shoulder. Stay for five slow deep breaths and then reverse it, twisting to the other side.
6. FORWARD BEND - While sitting on the chair, spread your legs wide. On the exhale, fold forward, so that your torso falls in between your legs. Stay for five slow deep breaths. You can shake your shoulders in this position, it releases the tension from the upper and middle back. 7. Closed Eyes - Finally, spend a minute or two with your eyes closed. This gives your body and mind a nice break.
You can do all or some of these stretches as many times as you wish throughout the day. If you practice the stretches often, you will feel the most benefits.
Anastasia Dorohova is a holistic health counselor and a yoga teacher with a thriving New York-City practice. Anastasia specializes in teaching corporate yoga classes. http://www.steadybliss.com for more.
Office Yoga Related Items For Sale
Doing Yoga at The Office related articles from the blogosphere...
Energizing Office Yoga - Inside Yoga Today Ep. 10
Oxygenate your blood, clear your mind, and stretch & tone your muscles with this energizing office workout with Neesha Zollinger. Its quick and can be done at your desk, in business attire.
Office Yoga: Wave Breath
This is Day 15 of Yoga Journal's
Office Yoga series. This yoga move incorporates the calming effects of breath and meditation into a gentle shoulder exercise, which can improve posture in your upper back.
Office Yoga | BarefootAndUpsideDown
Most of us spend considerable time sitting at a desk and/or working at a computer and let's face it, our necks and shoulders get really cramped and tight.
Friday Five: Yoga at Home « Becky Levine
I love my studio, and I love the classes, but today I'm going to do my own
yoga in my own office. Why? Well, for Friday, I'll give you 5 reasons. What else am I supposed to do with the beautiful pink bolster, lavender block, and ...
Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers.
Not What You Are Looking For? Try A New Search...